Hephzibah House Journal

Hephzibah House Journal
Susan Grotte's journal from her experience as a student at Hephzibah House, told in short-story form.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Jennifer Sengpiehl: Survivor!

 
I went to Hephzibah house 10 years ago for 15 months.

My first day I was there I was severely beaten by the Williams' "rod of god" as they called it. I was beaten because I tried to leave the minute I walked in. The sons were all called and held me down as Patti beat me over and over again from my entire back to my knees. I was bruised all over. It hurt to sleep and move for weeks.

While I was there I was "shadowed" and the entire time there never allowed to speak to more then two girls that were on my speaking list. I never got to ever leave the building. My parents letters were often blacked out with a black marker as if my parents were writing me things that they didn’t approve of...whatever that may be.

While I was there the depression I had was indescribable... The girls said I never smiled...(now mind you my nickname is Sunshine because I never stop smiling) I thought about suicide constantly while I was there...

I look back and hear these stories and the pain and hurt even now is unimaginable...

I am now a mother and I would NEVER EVER put my child in there.