Hephzibah House Journal

Hephzibah House Journal
Susan Grotte's journal from her experience as a student at Hephzibah House, told in short-story form.

Monday, September 30, 2019

Christy ~

“  In fact, if a rebel seeks your assistance, it is very likely you yourself are a rebel because rebellious hearts have "rebel radar," and will instinctively seek out those with whom they have a compatibility.”    Ron Williams from the sermon Subverting Parental Authority



Christy showed up at Hephzibah House like a shot of sunshine, like a fresh breeze over the city dump. She drove a car. She had stylish bobbed hair. She had snapping, intelligence eyes, and a warm smile that erupted from her whole face.  

I drank her in. I studied her.    Pastor Williams said rebels attracted rebels and sniffed each other out in a crowd.  Was Christy a rebel?  Miss Diana seemed to think so,  she scowled and grunted and stomped her feet whenever Christy tried to be kind or engage in a conversation with us girls.

Christy brought a new idea,  a different opinion.    Maybe Ron Williams was wrong,  maybe it was not Christian what was happening at Hephzibah House~maybe it was not Christian at all.  


I watched Christy's body language. I watched her face. I watched her eyes. It was blatantly obvious that Christy was shocked and horrified by the food, by our lack of medical care and personal care, and by the brutality of our treatment. She was alarmed by the lack of schooling,  and horrified at the nightly beatings.  Over the 3 months of summer, young  Christy connected with almost every girl.  When she left I prayed and wished and hoped  she would find a way to help us.  I imagined her coming back with a posse of pastors and deacons to rescue us.   I sighed,  if Christy did not return to rescue us it meant that Ron Williams was indeed right and holy and good.    
As the days turned to weeks and then months I knew what had happened.  The fresh idea,  the other opinion had been extinguished.  

Christy must have repented of her rebellion.        

7 comments:

  1. Hi
    thnks sto sahre this

    I was following your articles

    pls followe my article
    Buy Telegram members

    ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO sorry about this experience :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christianity as a whole is deceptive. The webs run deep. The first century church though in the Bible, in the Book of Acts...before Christianity came around...is important. They were disciples of Jesus (or in Hebrew Yahshua) who denied themselves, picked up their cross, and followed Him. They obeyed Him. I haven't seen anyone or know of anyone who's fully obeyed Him, I doubt Christianity at all or in general really knows Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they did they would be living together in communities as He promised. Mothers, fathers, children, brothers, and sisters, lands, homes...with persecutions...and in the age to come eternal life He promised for giving up everything else. They would heal the sick, cast out evil, they would love one another, there would be no needy or poor among them. No one would be oppressed or tortured at all!

      Delete
  4. there would also be peace in the land! Prophecies from ancient prophets would be fulfilled, the Book of Isaiah the prophet about letting the oppressed go free, loosening the bonds of wickedness, clothing the naked, welcoming the outcasts, undoing the heavy burdens. These schools torture, abuse, molest, murder, rape, all sorts of things, but Isaiah spoke of something wonderful God told him, about these things... Yahshua cared about women too...He helped this one woman
    "So ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has bound—think of it—for eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath?”"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I completely understand your fear!! I had several friends that were sent there on the recommendation of our "Pastor". My parent's almost sent me there, before I turned 18! My Mom threatened me often!!
    My friends have NEVER been the same girls that went into that Hell Hole!! And, oh the stories they told.
    My heart aches for the baby that "wicked" woman tortured. I can honestly say, they baby most likely passed out! I, being "such a rebel" may of just gotten up and saved that baby!! Let them paddle ME! NOW, THAT'S WHAT JESUS WOULD OF DONE! Was HE a rebel or was HE sent to LOVE EVERYONE?!?

    ReplyDelete