Hephzibah House Journal

Hephzibah House Journal
Susan Grotte's journal from her experience as a student at Hephzibah House, told in short-story form.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Stephanie Stansbarger: Survivor!



I was at HH for a short time. I was there from 11-90/12-90.

My grandmother got wind that this place was horrible and finally convinced my mother to come and get me. In a blizzard the night of my 17th birthday I got to go home.

I was treated like "Cinderella", scrubbing floors with toothbrushes and peeling vegetables for hours.
I went many times with nothing to eat due to not memorizing bible verses.

I was shadowed because they thought I would either try to escape or kill myself.

It is an experience that to this day still gives me nightmares.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that you had to go through any of this. You're honestly one of the best people I know, and to think of all the horrible things that you went through, breaks my heart. I love you.

    ReplyDelete